Step by Step Guide to Using Making Tax Digital enabled Software to Submit Your VAT Returns
What you will need:
- Your Government Gateway user ID and password.
- The VAT number of the business that is signing up.
Step by Step Guide:
- Go to the Government Website (www.gov.uk) and type into the search bar – “Use Software to Submit Your VAT Returns”.
- Sign in using your Government Gateway credentials – these are the same as the ones you use when submitting your VAT Return online.
- You will then be asked a few questions about your business.
- For Sole traders-you will be asked your Date of Birth and National Insurance Number.
- For Limited Companies– you will be asked your Company Number and Corporation Tax Reference.
- Agree to receive emails and go paperless.
- You will need to provide the preferred email address that you would like HMRC to contact you on.
- You will then receive an email from HMRC to verify the address. Please ensure you respond immediately.
- During the pilot period, you will need to confirm that you are ready to take part.
- Once you are ready, log into your particular software of choice and follow the instructions.
What Happens Next?
HMRC will send you a confirmation email within 72 hours of signing up. Do not send a VAT Return until you receive this confirmation email.
PLEASE NOTE - You cannot sign up 15 working days leading up to or 5 working days after sending a VAT Return if paying by Direct Debit.
With QuickBooks being our preferred software option, here is a further step by step guide on how to set up Making Tax Digital on QuickBooks.
How to set up MTD on QuickBooks:
- Log into your account.
- Go to Taxes (where you would normally submit your VAT Return).
- Top right hand side press the green “set up now” button.
- Assuming you have carried out the above steps, you can click “yes”.
- Press the green “Turn on MTD” button.
If you have any further queries, please contact Priya Raja-Motala on 01923 224411 or at PriyaR@myersclark.co.uk